Saturday, February 12, 2005

so many memories

A fellow blogger is currently traveling in Thailand and posting his trip. A lot reminds me of my years in PNG(PapuaNewGuinea). I went there fresh out of college. I wanted to experience another culture. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. My first station was in Madang along the coast. I stayed with an Australian couple until I got my own small cottage. What I wasn't prepared for was the negative impression many people had about Americans. I had to develop a tough skin. But after 9 years, the Aussies were my favorite people. I loved their fun loving ways. When I tended to take myself too seriously, they had me laughing.

I enjoyed the PapuaNewGuineans. They have wonderful smiles. I respected them for their expertise in bush living. I remember not making direct eye contact with the men. That was taboo for women and wearing shorts or pants was another cultural taboo. I dearly loved working with the children. I was privileged to work with many different nationalities teaching English as a foreign language at an international and a church school. We made some wonderful friends there. Pictures of riding in the back of a landrover brought back memories of how bumpy the roads were. But, oh what fun it was, to bump along trying to carry on a conversation.

I am glad I had that experience in PNG. It gave me an awareness of how my country is perceived in the world. I learned lessons in appreciating a simple life style and the value of conversation. My last 3 years were a struggle because I often got sick. They were no longer spraying for mosquitoes and malaria was very prevalent. For that reason, I can't go back. But I don't regret the choice I made. It was life changing.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Tell me more. I want to know more of your adventures. Where did that Journey lead you J.?