Tuesday, February 01, 2005

keep an open heart

Here in my own blog I want to respond to a friend's latest post. He wrote so beautifully about a vision he had when he was 17 of an oriental woman who came to him so vividly that he has kept her memory fresh all these years. (how many years, I'm not sure) He has looked for her spirit in all of his lovers without finding her. Maybe, he thinks, she'll be in Thailand where he plans to go very soon. In a comment by his sister, she asks what would he do if he saw her on the road?

I write this because I have had a similar experience but more recently. During the illness and eventual death of my father, I was also struck with illness. During this time I had a frequent visitor in the form of a Native American man. He had long black hair, was wearing denim jeans and a denim shirt tucked in at the waist. He wore a beautiful torquoise beaded belt. I would "see" him standing on the edge of a high cliff looking away from me. I would be approaching him unseen. On one occasion, when I was feeling very sad, he turned and extended his hand. I haven't "seen" him since. He came at a time when I needed him most. I, too, in my travels have wondered if I would meet him. I always believed if I did, I would know him. So far it hasn't happened. What my blogger friend's sister said about his post started me thinking. My vision had perfect timing. The effect was helpful. I am sure somewhere out there someone could explain the meaning behind his appearance. With the passage of time, I doubt I will ever see him in the flesh. I must content myself with lesser mortals. Friend, I say to you, look for your vision, but in the mean time, keep an open heart.

2 comments:

Steven said...

Good advice. Thank you somsoc. Yours is a beautiful story too. Did you ever think you found him?

somsoc said...

I think if I ever saw him on the road I doubt he would know me. If he showed some recognition, I think it would be only for a moment. We would pass and go on our separate ways. He is larger than life to me and there he will remain. It's safer that way.