Monday, February 21, 2005

"the dandelion has my smile"

After telling Steve why I couldn't send a picture of myself right away. (He has been so patient) I explain the reason. My smile, which used to be one of my better features, has now gone lopsided and quirky. It is a bit of a mystery. I wonder why I can't seem to smile for pictures. Caught unawares I think it's still there, but lately my smile refuses to comply.

That very evening I picked up a borrowed book entitled Peace Is Every Step - The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life by Thich Nhat Hanh. One of the chapters was The Dandelion Has My Smile. The author writes, "If you have lost your smile and yet are still capable of seeing that a dandelion is keeping it for you, the situation is not too bad." I guess that's it, if the dandelion is the guardian of my smile, then I need only think of it's pretty yellow face and I'll find what I'm looking for. It's worth a try.

No comments: