Tuesday, July 19, 2005

LOMO

This week I am coordinating a day camp for 35 kids. Our staff of counselors are from the Lutheran Outdoor Ministries of Ohio. We have 3 young women and 2 young men. One of the girls is from New Zealand. As in any gathering of humans, regardless of age, there have been the predictable conflicts with some campers threathening not to return. All of these threats have yet to materialize, but tomorrow may prove otherwise.

So far as church coordinator I have had to call Animal Control to report a poor hapless possum found sleeping under a bush near our play area. If this possum is smart, he'll find another place to rest during the day. I also questioned a man parked under a tree in our parking lot eating his lunch. He had no affliatiton with our church and was hestitant to provide his name although I introduced myself. One has to be so careful these days.

The campers were asked today what their favorite part of camp was so far and two boys said that meeting the other was their favorite. This resulted partly because on the first day one of the boys did not want to eat his lunch sitting in the grass. He was afraid of bugs crawling on him or his food. He had a bit of a food strike but with the encouragement of his friend, finally finished eating.

The activities for the day, which runs from 10:00 until 3:00, include lots of really fun singing of "camp" songs, doing neat crafts and playing large group cooperative games and study and practice of prayer. Snacks and lunch are included. We are now eating inside because of the 90 degree summer heat.

Tonight we had a pool party for staff and volunteers. It was relaxing and fun.

My daughter and I are thinking of going to one of the Lutheran camps in Ohio for a week. Both of us have worked at this camp. I worked there for 10 years during my summers. My children were practically raised there. Each of the three have had different reactions to returning.

I am happy to be able to do this. Next week I will be moving into 123 Cross St. What a busy, productive summer this has been.

No comments: